Charles Oulmont (1883-1984) was born in Mulhouse. He taught at the Sorbonne, and was a musician, an art critic and historian, and a collector and author of literary and dramatic works. His taste in art showed a preference for the eighteenth century, and he was more particularly interested in furniture creators. Under the auspices of the Fondation de France, he founded the Centre d'Aide aux Artistes, which later became the Charles Oulmont Foundation.
He bequeathed the works of art in his possession to various museums. His manuscripts, the correspondence he received, and many other items, including the books he wrote, often with notes in the margin, and his collection of honorary medals, was given to the BNU. The collection was given the pressmark MRS.Oulmont; it comprises 555 inventory entries.